The Western World
Burlington, Des Moines co. Iowa
October 21, 1915
Mr. Hugo Hoelzen, whose grocery store is located at 1400 Osborne Street, is
a merchant who keeps a store which is a model of neatness and attractive
appearance. His stock is made up of the products of the best markets and
covers every variety of staple and fancy goods which is usually found in a
grocery store, and the prompt and courteous treatment which all customers
receive is one of the noticeable features of this place.
REINERT'S LUNCH ROOM
A clean and well-managed lunch room is found at 219 Front Street, which was
established in 1875, of which Mr. Daniel Reinert is the proprietor and D. J.
Reinert the manager. Mr. Reinert has made a careful study of the business
of serving food to the public and makes a special effort to see that all the
essential features are fully up to the mark, and that there is a variety of
well-cooked food which is properly served.
Among the real estate men of Burlington, Mr. George Fulton, at room 4-5
Garman Building, occupies a conspicuous and honorable place. Mr. Fulton
handles all kinds of real estate, as well as doing an extensive loan and
insurance business. His judgment of values is unerring, his reputation for
fairness and honesty unquestioned, and he is always ready to give his
clients the benefit of hiswide experience and knowledge of properties and
his ability to conclude transactions in a thorough and satisfactory manner.
Office phone 151, Home Phone 2346.
DALE R. ANDRE
One of the most prominent and respected attorneys of Burlington is Mr. Dale
R. Andre, with offices overr the Kresge Ten Cent Store. Mr. Andre's clients
include a large number of the most influential people of the community, and
his standing before the bar is one of which any lawyer might well be proud.
His practice extends to the highest courts in the United States and he is
amply able to handle satisfactorily any and all legal matters entrusted to
his care, as he has demonstrated in the past. He was the second person to
graduate from the Academic Department of St. Cecelia Academy of this city,
having attended that institution for a period of four years.
OUR LADY OF LOURDES ACADEMY
The history of St. Paul's School dates back to the summer of 1859. At that
time Sister Mary Vincent was superior. Her assistants were Sister Mary
Philomora, Sister Mary Antonia and Sister Mary Christina. Rev. Michael
Kinsella was pastor at that time. The first school was located on Columbia
Street, the present site of the new church. As the parish began to grow a
more commodious building was needed. In 1874 Rev. Thos. F. Gunn, pastor,
purchased the lots on the corner of Fourth and Court Streets and erected the
present school. Owing to his great devotion to the Queen of Heaven, he
wishes his school to bear one of Her titles and named it Our Lady of Lourdes
Academy. The building was completed in 1877 at a cost of $2,800.
Its location is delightful, facing North Hill park, surrounded with a
variety of maple and elm trees. The rear commands a magnificent view of the
Mississippi River. From a hygienic viewpoint the building is admirably
arranged. It is well lighted and well ventilated, contains five large class
rooms, three music rooms, a physical laboratory and a chapel accommodating
Sisters and pupils.
The living apartments for the Sisters are in the same building. The
curriculum includes the complete course from first grade to the completion
of high school. The pupils who are graduated from Our Lady of Lourdes
academy come forth thoroughly fitted to assume the duties before them.
Special attention is given to the social, moral and religious training of
This great aim of the institution is to make its pupils not only men and
women of intelligence, but faithful children of Holy Mother Church and
honorable members of society.
The musical department affords every facility for attaining the highest
excellency in vocal and instrumental music. Special attention is given to
technic, theory and history of music.
As educators, the Sisters of Charity of the B.V.M. stand in the front rank
of the religious orders of teaching women in the country. They have labored
here in our midst for over half a century and the results of their labors as
seen in the characters of their alumni are an eloquent testimonial to their
worth and to the efficiency of their educational training.
Mr. George C. Bauman, located at the corner of 4th and Jefferson Streets,
represents to the people of Burlington artistic photography in its highest
form. He is always able to secure the most delightful results in posing; he
has all the latest ideas in mountings and his finishings leave nothing to be
desired. His studio is a model of up-to-the-minute comfort and elegance.
People who patronize Mr. Bauman find the matter of the ready-made styles.
ABRAMSOHN'S $2.50 SHOE STORE
A popular and well-patronized establishment is the Abramsohn's $2.50 Shoe
Store at 205
H. F. MELZIAN
Physicians are glad to recommend the H. F. Melzian Drug Store at Osborne and
Oak Streets when making out prescriptions to patients. Every order is
certain to be accurately filled, as each prescription is compounded by an
experienced and competent pharmacist. A complete line of sickroom
necessities, stationery, perfumes, etc., are kept for sale, as well as
school books and school supplies. This store also handles a complete
high-grade line of house paints, varnishes, wood stains and wood fillers; in
fact everything used for interior and exterior wood decorating. Everything
about the store is kept with a view of serving its patrons in the best
BURLINGTON SAVINGS BANK
Few people realize the many ways in which an up-to-date bank may serve the
public, and of them all a savings bank comes closer to the people than any
of the others. One of the best examples of the usefulness of a bank of this
character is the Burlington Savings Bank, which is located at 123 N. Main
Street, having a capital of $100,000.00 and surplus and profits of
$34,451.39. This bank was organized July 19, 1904, and has today deposits
of over one million dollars and assets of one million one hundred and fifty
thousand dollars. The officers are George H. Higbee, president; John J.
Fleming, vice-president, and George C. Swiler, cashier, and these names are
synonyms of the conservative yet progressive methods which characterize the
management of the institution.
This theater is located at 520 Jefferson street and merits the name of the
Ozark, the front representing a log cabin. The music is furnished by the
famous Violano-Virtuoso, the only mechanically played violin with piano
accompaniment that plays with a human touch, and is the only instrument of
its kind in the city. Under the management of Mr. R.R. Perkins the Ozark
furnishes to the people of Burlington the latest in motion pictures.
DR. M.L. WOOTTEN
Dr. M.L. Wootten, an expert veterinarian, located at 810 Jefferson street,
has had wonderful success in his line simply because he has kept abreast of
the time. All during his years of practice Dr. Wootten has continued to be
a student. His practice has enabled him to apply all new theories and
medicines until today he stands at the height of his profession. His fees
are always reasonable and his services promptly rendered.
OERTEL'S CASH MARKET
The thrifty houewife (sic) takes every precaution in making her household
purchases at the least possible outlay and at the same time secure the best
class of good. This is made possible by paying cash, and prominent among
the retail establishments of Burlington is Oertel's Cash market at 217 S.
Main street, where you pay cash for what you get and hwere the saving is
very material, because you don't help to pay the other man's [remainder cut
Home made products in any line are most popular with the people of a
cummunity, especially when the quality is equal or superior to the foreign
goods. Mr. Frank Hller, at 218 Washington street, understands thoroughly
the business he is engaged in, and realizes that careful selection of stock
for flavor and purity and expert workmanship are the essential features of
good cigar making. The leading brands of this factory are the "Capitol," a
ten cent cigar and the "Sunnyside" and "Pennent" five cent cigars. These
goods are sold by all the leading cigar dealers throughout this section.
THE C.H. BIKLEN COMPANY 'Bormza Store'
"Everything for everybody" describes the store of the C.H. Biklen comany at
505 Jefferson street, which is a general favorite with the ladies of
Burlington and vicinity for china, glassware, aluminum and granite wares.
It also handles a large line of toys, novelties, notions and books. This
company is composed of Messrs. H.L. Biklen, president and manager; W.C.
Biklen, vice president, and L. M. Biklen, secretary-treasurer. Another
feature of this store which adds greatly to its popularity and
attractiveness is a line of high grade groceries, canned fruits and
THE PENNY GROCERY
There is a store at 516 Jefferson street that is bound to be popular with
those who seek real economy. This is the Penny Grocery store, con
[remainder cut off]
BURLINGTON TEA & COFFEE CO.
No meal is complete to a majority of persons without a cup of good coffee,
and one firm in Burlington has produced a brand of coffee that will meet
with universal favor, for the article roasted by the Burlington Tea & Coffee
Company at 511 Jefferson street has won this place the name of "The place
where you get good coffee." The store makes a specialty of a valuable line
of prizes that are given away in connection with the sale ofits products,
and which have proven a popular feature with the trade. Mr. F.A. dustman,
the proprietor, carries a complete line of coffees, tea, baking powder,
extracts and spices of all kinds. The stock is a choice one as only the
best grades are sold.
Mr. C.E. Gerling is the proprietor of one of the most modernly equipped
retail jewelry establishments in Burlington, at the corner of Jefferson and
Third streets. The line of cut glass, thermos bottles, watches and diamonds
is especially noticeable and contains attractive values. He is a practical
jeweler and prepared to execute special orders. Mr. Gerling is also an
expert optometrist, and has installed a lens grinding plant so as to enable
him to deliver compound lenses without the delay incident to ordering them
from out of town. In the fitting of glasses as well as in the jewelry
department he guarantees thorough satisfaction.
JACK HILTZ'S CIGAR & BILLIARD HALL
There is no better way to relax from the worry and strain of a business
office than to engage in a game of pocket billiards or billiards, especially
where the equipment is the best and is well conducted. Such a place is Jack
Hiltz's Cigar & Billiard Hall at 210-203 N. Main street. An excellent stock
of cigars is also manufactured by Mr. Hiltz and sold at the hall. They
include several brands and all are high class, as many smokers will testify.
BURLINGTON PAPER COMPANY
This is one of the successful establishments of Burlington, located at
208-210-212 N. Fifth street. It does strictly a wholesale business
[illegible words] kinds of wrapping paper [illegible words] notions, toys
and dolls [illegible words] everything that is today [illegible words]
wholesale departments store [illegible words] of goods of this concern is
gathered from all points of the globe. The East and West both, contribute
their wares to the stock of the Burlington Paper Company. The firm is under
the management of Mr. John Zurawski, president; Mr. Oscar Riepe,
vice-president; Mr. C.E. Weiss, secretary; Mr. E.C. Jordan, treasurer.
[illegible words] their business has been built [illegible words] on the
foundation of [illegible words] and service; so much so [illegible words]
house is known everywhere under their slogan "The House That's Prompt." At
this season of the year the customers of the Burlington company, from all
over the state of Iowa, are coming into the city to select their holiday
goods, and the sample rooms of this concern at the present time are the
veritable headquarters for Santa Claus.
BURLINGTON SANITARY MILK COMPANY
No one will dispute today that the question of milk supplied to cities is
one of the problems which requires the most careful management. This
problem is solved in our city by Messrs. H.C. Koestner, president; D.R.
Jamison, vice-president; F.J. Koestner, secretary; C.G. Earnest, treasurer,
and A.D. Reppert, manager, constitute the Burlington Sanitary Milk Company,
which is located at 522 N. 3rd street. This concern furnishes a large share
of our population with milk and cream and [illegible words] of satisfaction
along with it [remainder cut off]
[Submitted by D.H.B., Feb & Nov 2005]