W.T. Tandy and wife celebrated their "Golden Wedding Anniversary" March 28, 1916.
Mr. Tandy was born in Keokuk County, Iowa, November 18, 1844; when three years of age, moved with his parents to Missouri, there to reside but one year. Iowa was thought the best place and thus the family moved to Appanoose County, making this their home until 1852, when they came to Mahaska County and settled four miles south of Oskaloosa, residing there but two years, and made a slight change of only a mile distance farther south in what is known as the "Rhinehart Neighborhood." In 1864 the family moved to the place which is now owned by the youngest brother, A.H. Tandy, in the "Six Mile Neighborhood." W.T. Tandy is the next oldest child of a family of twelve children. In 1892, his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Calvin Tandy, celebrated their "Golden Wedding Anniversary" at the old home at "Six Mile." Mrs. Tandy, who was Mary J. Boston, was born February 19, 1846, in Marion County, Illinois. She came to Mahaska County with her parents, William and Sarah Boston, when but a six month old babe, in a covered wagon. Her father took a claim where the county farm is now located, and there erected a log cabin, but he met the same misfortunre, many others experienced by having his claim taken from him by a Mr. Beard. This pioneer father did not become discouraged, but took another claim one and one-half miles north of the former one; built another log cabin and remained there with his wife and three little ones until death claimed him in 1852. The widow and little ones were left alone to battle the hardships of life in this new country. Soon, Mrs. Boston, with her little flock, moved to her father's home, John Slider, who lived just a mile south of her former home. The farm is now owned by Mrs. Dr. Bevan. Mr. Slider entered this farm in 1844 and lived there until 1865, when he sold it; bought and moved to the farm which is now owned by Mont Wharton. The little girl, Mary, grew to womanhood on her grandfather's farm located on the Knoxville Road, and just a year after moving to the new home, was united in marriage to W.T. Tandy, March 28, 1866. To this union were born three children, two sons, A.B. Tandy and W.T. Tandy, Jr., and one daughter, Mrs. R. H. Williams, all of whom are living. The entire immediate family now, including the grandchildren, consists of a company of eighteen. The most remarkable record is--fifty years of married life and not a death in their own family or among the grandchildren. Their blessing have been many. Mr. and Mrs. Tandy spent their life on the farm until the spring of 1898 when they retired and moved to their present home in Oskaloosa, 747 North E? Street. In 1905, they took their "honeymoon" trip and spent a few months on the western coast. All the previous years of their married life had been too busy to take a vacation; thus they waited until the door of opportunity opened to them. They visited in Nebraska, Colorado, and (remainder of article missing).
[transcribed by J.D.P., February 2005]
Iowa Old Press