Newspapers Established in Iowa Prior to the Civil War
Page county - Woodbury county
Counties: A-H * I-M
This database lists known Iowa newspapers that were established before the Civil War, and includes brief historical information of each paper either to its discontinuance, or to 1927. The name of each paper is given, the place and date of establishment, its politics if any, the name of the editor or publisher, changes in the name of the paper, etc. Most all of the papers were weekly publications, and unless otherwise stated, are considered such.
Source: Annals of Iowa, Vol VXI, No. 3, January 1928, by David C. Mott
Transcribed for Iowa Old Press by Sharyl Ferrall, January 2015
- Page County -
Page County Herald, Clarinda, 1859-1927+. Republican. Established May 24, 1859, by C. B. Shoemaker & Co., the "Co." being Flinn Shoemaker. In April, 1861, the head of the firm became sole owner. Late in 1862 he turned the paper over to T. R. Stockton, who in 1864 sold it to W. T. Smith. Smith changed the name to:
Southwestern Observer. In 1865 he sold it to Horndobler & Aldrich who changed the name back to:
Page County Herald. In November, 1866, George H. Powers bought a half interest, and the following January purchased the other half, but in July, 1867, sold a half interest to William P. Hepburn. The following March Hepburn leased his half interest to W. E. Loy. In June, 1869, Powers bought Hepburn's interest. In April, 1871, he leased the paper to Lowery & McIntire who consolidated it with the Republican, which had been established in January, 1871, and called it the:
Republican and Herald with James Lowry as editor. In February, 1872, George H. Powers again resumed control and dropped the word "Republican" from the paper's name and restored the old one:
Page County Herald. In February, 1875, Powers sold to Ralph Robinson who sold it in October, 1876, to C. B. Shoemaker, the founder, who conducted it until his death in October, 1877. From then until March, 1878, it was edited by T. E. Clark. On the latter date J. W. Chaffin assumed ownership and he changed the name to:
Clarinda Herald. J. E. Hill became part owner, but in June, 1885, C. A. Lisle bought Hill's interest, and soon thereafter the firm of Barker & Lisle became the owners. In 1886 Barker took over the job department and Lisle became sole owner and editor of the paper and so remained until in 1912. In October of that year the job printing and newspaper department were consolidated again and taken over by the Clarinda Printing Company, and in November Paul B. Woolson purchased the controlling interest and became editor.
- Polk County -
- Iowa Star, Fort Des Moines, 1849-1902. Democratic. Established July 26, 1849, by Barlow Granger & Co. In about two years Curtis Bates who had been financially interested in the paper from the start, became owner and editor. Dr. A. Y. Hull was editor for a time, and was succeeded by Daniel O. Finch. In 1855 Will Tomlinson assumed charge and changed the name to:
Iowa Statesman. Dr. W. H. Farner was associated in the management. In 1856 Tomlinson removed the paper to East Des Moines. In 1857 the paper was bought by William Porter who removed it back to the west side of the river and in 1859, changed the name to the:
Iowa State Journal. In January, 1860, he sold it to Stilson Hutchins. In 1862 he sold to George M. Todd and he in turn sold to Dr. D. V. Cole who consolidated it with the Commonwealth, dropping both names and calling it the:
Times. Late in 1862 William H. Merritt bought this consolidated paper and revived the name of:
Statesman. In 1867 he sold to Staub & Jenkins who soon turned it over to G. W. Snow. On his death the paper suspended for a time, but in 1870 Barnhart Brothers became owners and W. W. Witmer editor. The name was changed to:
Iowa State Leader and it soon became an evening daily. About ten years later Mr. Witmer was followed as editor in succession by W. H. Welch, L. G. Kinne, Lowry W. Goode and Frank Garrity. A company finally took over the plant and Henry Stivers became editor. The name had been changed to:
Des Moines Leader in January, 1884. In 1888 it became a morning daily. In 1895 Stivers sold to Samuel Strauss and Allen Dawson and on July 1, 1902, it was sold to and merged with the Iowa State Register as the Des Moines Register and Leader.
- Fort Des Moines Gazette, 1850-1851. Whig. Established January 14, 1850, by Lampson P. Sherman. It suspended on February 6, 1851.
- Iowa State Journal, Fort Des Moines, 1851-1852. Whig. Established February 28, 1851, by Peter Myers & Co., with William W. Williamson as editor. In August of that year Charles B. Darwin became editor. The paper suspended August 26, 1852.
- Iowa Citizen, Fort Des Moines, 1856-1927+. Free Soil, Republican. Established in February, 1856, by Thomas H. Sypherd. A year later W. H. Farner and J. M. Dixon became editors. In August, 1857, J. C. Savery bought the paper, Farner retiring but Dixon remaining as editor. In December of that year John Teesdale bought the paper, Dixon staying as associate editor. In January, 1860, Teesdale changed the name to:
Iowa State Register, and in May, 1860, sold it to Frank W. Palmer. During the sessions of the legislature in 1860 and 1861 a daily edition was published. On January 12, 1862, the paper began the daily issue. In 1866 Palmer sold to Frank M. and Jacob W. Mills. Palmer continued as editor for a time, and later was succeeded by J. W. Hills, and he by James S. Clarkson. In December 1870, Coker F., Richard P., and James S. Clarkson purchased the paper, James S. becoming the editor. The father, Coker F., in a few years withdrew from the partnership, but continued as agricultural editor until his death in 1890. James S. relinquished the active editorship to Richard P. in 1889 and in 1891 sold his interest to him. July 1, 1902, Richard P. Clarkson sold a controlling interest to George E. Roberts and Samuel Strauss and, they having made a like purchase of the Des Moines Leader, the:
Des Moines Register and Leader was formed. In November, 1903, Gardner Cowles purchased a controlling interest in the property, Harvey Ingham becoming editor. In 1915 the name was changed to the:
Des Moines Register. The publishers of this paper purchased the Tribune December 1, 1908, the News November 10, 1924, and the Capital February 12, 1927, all evening papers, consolidating them as the Evening Tribune and Des Moines Capital and publishing them in connection with their morning paper.
- Commonwealth, Des Moines, 1860-1862. Independent Republican. Established in 1860 by Andrew J. Stevens and William H. Hoxie. In 1861 they sold it to J. B. Bausman and S. W. Russell who in 1862 sold it to Dr. D. V. Cole who consolidated it with the Iowa State Journal.
- Pottawattamie County -
- Frontier Guardian, Kanesville, 1848-1852. Whig. Mormon. Established in 1848 by Orson Hyde, who also was the editor. He discontinued it in 1852, removing most of the material to Utah.
- Kanesville Bugle, 1851-1869. Democratic. Established May, 1851, by Alman W. Babbitt. In 1852 Joseph E. Johnson, a Mormon, became owner, and Daniel W. Carpenter obtained an interest. In 1853 when the name of the town was changed to Council Bluffs, this paper became the:
Council Bluffs Bugle. In 1857 Lysander W. Babbitt bought it. It was run as a daily for a time in 1857, but soon the daily edition was discontinued. In 1864 Charles H. Babbitt took an interest in it, and in 1866 it was purchased by W. T. Giles.
- Council Bluffs Chronotype, 1854-1855. Independent. Whig. Established in 1854 by Jeremiah Folsom and W. W. Maynard. The latter soon withdrew. The paper continued only about eighteen months.
- Council Bluffs Nonpareil, 1857-1927+. Republican. Established May 2, 1857, by W. W. Maynard and A. D. Long, the former being editor. Long died within a year and Maynard continued alone until October, 1862, when, having been appointed postmaster, W. S. Burke became editor. A daily issue began January 28, 1862, and ran until April, 1863, when it was discontinued, but was resumed in July, 1864. In December, 1866, John W. Chapman and W. W. Maynard assumed joint ownership and editorship. In 1867 John M. Brainard acted as editor for a time, and was succeeded by John H. Keatley for a few years. In 1876 Maynard died and Chapman continued as editor. Various parties were connected with the ownership and managementRichard Gray and George S. Mills for a while, but they sold their interest to Thomas P. Treynor and John C. Schermerhorn, Chapman remaining editor, except that S. W. Moorhead for several years did most of the editorial work. January, 1883, J. J. Steadman succeeded Chapman as editor and the Nonpareil Printing Company became owner. In 1889 Chapman was succeeded by Carl Snyder for a short period and then Spencer Smith followed for eighteen months. E. F. Test was editor from 1891 to 1894, and was followed by J. H. Purcell, but in 1894 the New Nonpareil Company was organized with Ernest E. Hart principal owner and Victor E. Bender, editor. Howard W. Tilton was editor from 1897 to 1902, followed by F. W. Beckman, and he by Robert Henderson who served from 1904 to 1910. In 1909 the ownership passed to D. W. Norris, Jr., W. P. Hughes and W. R. Orchard, and Mr. Orchard became editor in 1910.
- Rock Bottom, Crescent City, 1857. Established in 1857 to advocate the bridging of the Missouri at that point instead of at Council Bluffs. We failed to learn who established it. It only lived a short time.
- Oracle, Crescent City, 1857-1858. Established in 1857 with L. O. Littlefield as publisher and Joseph E. Johnson editor. It suspended in 1858.
- Poweshiek County -
- Republican, Montezuma, 1856-1927+. Republican. Established in 1856 by John Cassidy. He sold to A. M. Cowing in 1857 and a few months later Albert Head purchased a half interest and the firm became Cowing & Head. In 1859 Cowing sold his share to S. F. Cooper and in 1862 Cooper & Head sold to Frank T. Campbell. Campbell soon entered the Union Army and left the paper with J. B. Besack. Between 1862 and 1872 ownership and editorship changed frequently, and sometimes back and forth and in partnerships, among a Mr. Springer, W. C. Condit, O. H. P. Grove, a Mr. Pike, F. E. Spering, J. W. Dalby, S. W. Grove, John W. Cheshire, and William Remsburg. In 1872 John W. Cheshire became sole owner and editor. After his death in September, 1877, his sons, Thomas A. and M.F. Cheshire, became the owners with the former the editor. In 1880 Thomas A. Cheshire withdrew and in 1884 W. C. McKee purchased the paper. In July, 1884, J. W. Jarnagin became part owner, and in 1894 sole owner. In July, 1903, he was succeeded by J. J. Adams and he by E. E. Blanchard. Blanchard sold to Clark & Bechley in August, 1906, and in April, 1909, they sold to the Charles K. Needham Company, who operated the paper until in August, 1913, when they sold to J. M. Grimes. He sold in July, 1923, to Ray, Frisbie & Sutherland, David Sutherland becoming editor.
- Scott County -
- Iowa Sun and Davenport and Rock Island News, Davenport, 1838-1842. Established August 4, 1838, by Andrew Logan. Suspended in 1842.
- Davenport Gazette, 1841-1887. Whig. Established August 26, 1841, by Alfred Sanders. In 1844 Levi Davis purchased an interest. In October, 1854, a daily edition was begun. The paper became Republican on the formation of that party. In 1857 Davis' interest was taken over by Addison H. Sanders, but he withdrew from the firm on entering the Union Army in 1862, and in September, 1862, Alfred Sanders sold to the Gazette Company, headed by Edward Russell who became editor. In August, 1876, Russell sold his interest to Waldo M. Potter, but in November, 1876, Russell repurchased the interest and resumed the editorship. In November, 1885, a Chicago syndicate headed by George B. Armstrong bought the property and in 1887 sold it to and it was merged with the Davenport Democrat.
- The Bride and the Lamb's Wife, Buffalo, 1842-1843. Mormon. Established in 1842 by two Mormons named Henkle and McClelland. They had bought the printing outfit from A. Logan when the Iowa Sun of Davenport was suspended. Henkle and McClelland soon changed the name of the paper to the:
Buffalo Ensign. We have failed to learn how soon it suspended, but infer it was in about two years.
- Democratic Banner, Davenport, 1848-1855. Democratic. Established in September, 1848, by Alexander Montgomery, but in January, 1849, he sold to a company headed by Hiram Price and they employed Henry Smetham as editor. A few months later T. D. Eagal took it over. In December, 1851, J. W. Wheeler became part owner. In June, 1852, Austin Corbin secured Wheeler's interest, but in September sold to Samuel R. Millar. In March, 1854, Eagal became sole owner and was until October, 1855, when he sold the paper to J. T. Hildreth, D. N. Richardson, and G. R. West, who discontinued it and used the material in establishing the Iowa State Democrat.
- Der Demokrat, Davenport, 1851-1918. Democratic. Established November 22, 1851, by Theodore Guelch. Rudolph Reichman became a partner in 1852, but in 1855 he retired from the partnership. In January, 1856, a daily edition was brought out and Henry Ramming became part owner. In April, 1856, Henry Lischer & Co. purchased it and Theodore Olshausen was made editor. About this time the paper became Republican and remained so until about 1892. In June, 1860, Daldorff & Ramming became owners, but it soon reverted to Henry Lischer with J. P. Stibolt, editor, which he remained to be until 1884 since when August Richter, Gustav Donald, and William R. Voss succeeded each other as editors, but still with the Henry Lischer Co. as publishers. After the death of Henry Lischer in 1903 the sons, Oscar, Edward and Fred Lischer constituted the company. The paper was discontinued September 7, 1918.
- Davenport Bee, 1854. Independent. Established in 1854 by De Witt Carey. Suspended in a short time.
- Davenport Commercial, 1854-1855. Independent. Established the spring of 1854 by Nathaniel Hawthorne Parker. The following December he sold it to Winthrop Atwill who changed its name to:
Davenport Courier. It was suspended in a few months.
- Iowa State Democrat, Davenport, 1855-1927+. Democratic. Daily. Established October 15, 1855, by James T. Hildreth, David N. Richardson, and George R. West, Hildreth being editor. In September, 1857, Hildreth died and the two remaining partners continued the paper, Richardson being editor, until in October, 1859, they consolidated the Daily Morning News with it, changing the name to:
Democrat and News, the new firm becoming McGuire, Richardson & Co., composed of Thomas McGuire, Alonzo W. Church, D. N. Richardson, G. R. West and John G. Given. In February, 1860, McGuire sold his interest to George F. Carpenter. In July, 1860, Given sold to the other members of the firm. In May, 1863, D. N. Richardson was joined by his brother, Jenness J. Richardson, as Richardson Bros., and they became sole owners, the former being editor. In April, 1864, the name was changed to:
Davenport Democrat. In 1881 an incorporation, the Democrat Company, took over the paper, the two Richardsons being the principal owners. In March, 1887, the Davenport Gazette was taken over by the Democrat. The Davenport Evening Leader was also taken over in March, 1904. D. N. Richardson died July 4, 1898, and J. J. Richardson February 19, 1917. At the time of the latter's death he was president of the Democrat Publishing Company. P. A. J. Russell was associate editor of the Democrat for some years previous to 1884. B. F. Tillingast succeeded him, while Ralph W. Cram has been editor since 1916.
- Morning News, Davenport, 1856-1859. Democratic. Established in September, 1856, by George N. Harrington and Frank B. Wilkie. Late in 1857 Wilkie disposed of his interest to Harrington, and he sold to John Johns, Jr., & Co. In 1859 it was purchased by Thomas McGuire who sold it to the Iowa State Democrat on October 11, 1859.
- Weekly Express, Le Claire, 1856-1858. Established in December, 1856, by George N. Harrington and Frank B. Wilkie, they doing the printing in Davenport, but in a few weeks they sold to William H. Fleming and William Craig who removed the material to Le Claire. In the fall of 1857 Craig sold his interest to Fleming and Francis H. Impey became a partner, but he relinquished his interest in June, 1858. Edward Russell then associated with Fleming for a time in the business, but they discontinued the paper in October, 1858.
- Daily Anti-Know-Nothing, Davenport, 1856. Anti-Know-Nothing. Established in 1856 by T. D. Eagal. Suspended after running during spring election campaign.
- Beobachter Am Mississippi, Davenport, 1856. Democratic. Established during the summer of 1856 by German Democrats who resented the Der Demokrat's turning to the support of the Republican ticket. We failed to find the editor's name. The printing was done by the Iowa State Democrat. It's life was brief.
- Temperance Organ, Davenport, 1856. Temperance. Established in spring of 1856 and printed in the job printing house of Luse, Lane & Co., of which Hiram Price was part owner It ran about one year.
- Davenport Daily Times, 1858. Established September 1, 1858, by William T. Clark, N. H. Parker and J. K. Mills. Clark and Mills were lawyers. The printing was done by Luse, Lane & Co., job printers. The paper was suspended in a few weeks.
- Le Claire Republic, 1858-1859. Established in December, 1858, by Dr. James Van Horne who owned the printing material of the late Express, Charles Edward Russell who acted as editor, and William H. Fleming, printer. It was suspended in June, 1859.
- Le Claire Register, 1859. Democratic. Established in September, 1859, by John Trainor King. Discontinued in a brief time.
- Shelby County -
- New Idea, Simoda, 1858. Established in 1858 by Samuel Dewell. The name was soon changed to the:
Gazette. It was soon suspended.
- Shelby County Reporter, Simoda, 1859-1860. Democratic. Established March 5, 1859, by P. Bull. Its suspension came when Simoda had no further hope for the county seat.
- Shelby County Courier, Harlan, 1859-1860. Independent. Established January 30, 1859, by J. B. Besack. Its main purpose was to aid in securing the county seat at Harlan, and that accomplished, it suspended.
- Story County -
- Story County Advocate, Nevada, 1857-1927. Republican. Established January 8, 1857, by R. R. Thrall. In the winter of 1862-63 it was taken over by George F. Schoonover and renamed the:
Republican Reveille. Late in 1863 its name was again changed, this time to the:
Story County Aegis, A. Keltz owning it then, and its editor being John M. Brainard. Brainard purchased it in 1866. In November, 1868, V. A. Ballou became owner and the policy of the paper changed to Independent Republican, but in May, 1870, W. H. Gallup purchased it and it again became Republican and the name was changed to:
Nevada Representative. In September, 1882, William P. Payne secured ownership, and he, assisted by his wife, Adaline M. Payne, and later by their son, William O. Payne, conducted it until the last named, in 1917, disposed of it to a local company, after which there followed in succession as editors Arthur H. McKechnie, F. E. Mellen, Luther I. Aasgaard, and H. J. Hoogenakker. The paper was taken over by the Nevada Journal and consolidated with it in February, 1927.
- Tama County -
- Toledo Tribune, 1856-1866. Republican. Established April 21, 1856, by M. V. B. Kenton. In about a year he sold to H. T. Baldy who soon sold an interest to T. W. Jackson. In August, 1857, the paper was purchased by George Sower and E. B. Bolens. In October, 1858, N. C. Wieting secured Bolen's interest, and took full control and changed the name to:
Iowa Transcript. For a year or so the paper had been rather independent politically, but now became Republican. Wieting soon took T. J. Staley as a partner. After a time J. F. Farley took Staley's place in the firm. In November, 1866, the paper was discontinued and the material removed to Belle Plaine.
- Taylor County -
- Iowa South-West, Bedford,1858-1864. Established in February, 1858, by Joseph H. Turner, aided by citizens of Bedford. In 1859 George Moser was taken in as a partner. Several months later Turner retired from the paper, and later entered the Union Army. Moser continued the paper a while, but suspended it during the war.
- Union County -
- Afton Eagle, 1860-1880. Democratic. Established spring of 1860 by Morris & Ryan. In 1866 L. Raguet bought Ryan's interest and changed the name to:
Afton Reveille, and made it neutral politically. In about a year Raguet became sole owner, and took as a partner Samuel M. Riggs, Jr., but he soon withdrew. Later James W. Stevenson took an interest in the paper. In 1864 it was sold to Robbins & Cornelius and they ran it as a Republican paper. Raguet resumed charge in about 1866 and made it neutral again, but sold it to H. S. Erman who again made it Republican. In 1868 W. R. Roberts purchased it and the name was changed to:
Afton Tribune. Soon thereafter Ira Seeley became editor and proprietor. He sold it to W. H. Robb in 1877 who changed the name to:
American Independent and made it a Greenback organ, Robb discontinued the paper at Afton and removed the material to Creston in 1880.
- Van Buren County -
- Iowa Democrat and Des Moines River Intelligencer, Keosauqua, 1843-1865. Neutral. Established in 1843 by Jesse M. Shepherd and J.L.T. Mitchell. In the spring of 1844 James Shepherd, father of Jesse M., who had financed his son, purchased Mitchell's interest and about a year later the paper became Democratic. In 1850 they sold to Ezra M. Jones. During the next ten years successive publishers were ? Mills, Seth Millington, Daniel Morris, who changed it to a Whig paper, J. M. Estes, who changed it back to Democratic, and Oliver J. Taylor, who changed the name, May 7, 1858, to:
Des Moines News. March 31, 1860, James Shepherd became editor and Jesse M. Shepherd, publisher. In 1866 they sold it to G. S. Bailey who discontinued it and removed the material to Albia.
- Border Pioneer, Keosauqua, 1844. Whig. Established in 1844 by J. L. T. Mitchell. It ran but a short time.
- Des Moines Valley Whig, 1846-1849. Whig. Established in June, 1846, by James B. Howell and James H. Cowles. In March, 1849, they removed the plant to Keokuk.
- Keosauqua Jeffersonian, 1850-1851. Established April 29, 1850, by Arlando E. Jones. Discontinued May 26, 1851.
- Western American, Keosauqua, 1851-1855. Whig. Established July 5, 1851, by L. D. and H. Morris. In July, 1852, it was purchased by H. and S. M. Mills. In January, 1853, Seth Milligan as editor and Rufus Summerlin as publisher obtained ownership. In July, 1854, Summerlin became sole owner, changed the name to:
Democratic Union and made the paper Democratic. In November, 1854, James Shepherd purchased an interact and became editor. It seems to have been discontinued in 1855.
- Keosauqua Republican, 1854-1927+. Whig. Established September 12, 1854, by W. C. Worden, and sold in 1855 to L. D. Morris, and by him in 1856 to John S. Stidger. The paper became Republican on the organization of that party in 1856. In 1858 L. D. Morris became owner and in 1859 Joel Mayne succeeded to the ownership. In 1868 he sold to George E. Henry, who in February, 1877, sold a half interest to W. H. Bleakmore and in August of the same year sold the other half to John M. Strong. Strong sold his interest to Joshua S. Sloan in December, 1877. In November, 1879, Bleakmore sold to John W. Rowley and in September, 1895, Sloan sold to John H. Landes. On J. W. Rowley's death in September, 1921, his interest went to his son, R. B. Rowley.
- Democratic Mirror, Vernon, 1855-1858. Democratic. Established December 5, 1855, by J. S. Shepherd, publisher, and John M. Estes, editor. In October, 1856, it was removed to Keosauqua and January 1, 1858, the name was changed to:
Valley Weekly News. It seems to have been discontinued April 30, 1858.
- Wapello County -
- Des Moines Courier, Ottumwa, 1848-1927+, Whig. Established August 8, 1848, by J. H. D. Street and Richard H. Warden. In January, 1851, Warden became sole proprietor, but in December, 1855, he sold it to James W. and G. W. Norris. The paper became Republican under J. W. Norris' editorship. In 1857 the name was changed to:
Ottumwa Courier. The daily edition began in April, 1865. In 1866 N. D. Mussleman, William H. Caldwell, and W. C. Holden became proprietors. In August, 1869, John M. Hedrick and Augustus H. Hamilton became editors and proprietors, but in January, 1878, Hamilton succeeded to the sole ownership. April 1, 1890, Alfred W. Lee purchased it, becoming editor and publisher. After Mr. Lee's death July 15, 1907, J. K. Daugherty succeeded him as editor, folIowed by R. D. McManus, William H. Powell, and C. S. Johnson, the property remaining in the Lee Syndicate, founded by A. W. Lee.
- Des Moines Republic, Ottumwa, 1850-1852. Democratic. Established in 1850 by James Baker & Co. and continued for about two years, when it was discontinued.
- Free Press, Eddyville. 1853-1859. Neutral. Established August 11, 1853 by J. W. Norris. Norris was followed by J. V. Meeker, and he by B. H. Palmer, publisher, and William H. Alison, editor. In 1856 the name was changed to:
Eddyville Commercial. It was run until 1859 when it was discontinued.
- Democratic Statesman, Ottumwa, 1858-1868. Democratic. Established in 1858 by G. D. R. Boyd. J. H. D. Street next conducted it a while, then in 1861 H. B. Hendershot and E. L. Burton obtained it and changed the name to the:
Democratic Union. In 1862 S. B. Evans took over Hendershott's share and he and Burton changed the name to the:
Democratic Mercury. In the fall of 1862 Evans entered the Union Army and E. L. Burton and his brother, S. H. Burton, continued the paper until October, 1865, when Russell Higgins became editor and Publisher, but in 1868 it was discontinued.
- Warren County -
- Republican, Indianola, 1855-1856. Republican with Know-Nothing cast. Established August 24, 1855, by John W. Murphy. Early in 1856 it passed into the hands of P.P. Henderson, proprietor, and C. E. Millard, editor. In June, 1856, George W. Clark succeeded Millard as editor. It suspended in August, 1856.
- Weekly Iowa Visitor, Indianola, 1857- 1927+. Republican. Established April 2, 1857, by John H. Knox. During a temporary absence of Mr. Knox in the West seeking gold John D. Ingalls was editor, as he was also in 1862 during Knox's absence in the Union Army. Once during Mr. Knox's absence in 1868 John C. Brown was acting editor and ran the paper as independent, but Mr. Knox restored it as Republican on his return. In March, 1864, M. Henry Money bought it and changed the name to:
Warren County Banner, but in September, 1866, Knox became owner again and renamed it:
Weekly Iowa Visitor. In April, 1868, he sold it to George E. Griffith and it was conducted for about two months by Albert W. Swalm. In June of that year E. W. Brody became editor and changed the name to:
Indianola Journal. In 1871 W. H. Schooley bought an interest and in 1872 became sole owner, but soon sold to A. J. Graham. In September, 1873, J. H. Knox again bought a half interest and in 1874 they changed the name to:
Indianola Herald. In 1886 T. T. and James M. Anderson became the owners and editors. The Indianola Herald Publishing Company took over the paper in 1909, and in 1910 T. T. Anderson withdrew and J. M. Anderson was editor until during 1914 when Seth F. Shenton succeeded him.
- Warren Eagle, Indianola, 1859. Independent. Established in May, 1859, by I. R. Sherwood. In June following J. M. Dixon was associated in the management, being editor. It was suspended the following October.
- Washington County -
- Washington Argus, 1854-1856. Democratic. Established in 1854 by Lewis F. Walden, publisher, and J. F. Rice, editor. It suspended in about two years.
- Washington Press, 1856-1918. Independent. Established April 9, 1856, by A. R. Wickersham. In November, 1857, A. S. Bailey became a partner, and in June, 1858, Wickersham retired and was succeeded by Thomas H. Stanton. In January, 1859, Wickersham returned to the ownership as sole proprietor, but Stanton assisted in the editing. When Stanton entered the Union Army, Bailey took his place as assistant editor for a time. In May, 1866, Howard A. Burrell became owner and editor. In 1903 he sold the paper to R. L. Livingston and in 1903 Charles K. Needham purchased a half interest, and soon. became sole owner and editor. In December, 1911, he sold to a company the membership of which was S. W. Brookhart, J. L. Brookhart and Anna Dawson. S. W. Brookhart and Anna Dawson were editors. It suspended publication in October, 1918. Politically it was independent Republican during almost all its history.
- Washington Democrat, 1860. Democratic. Established November 22, 1860, by E. B. Bolens. Its existence was of short duration.
- Wayne County -
- South Tier Democrat, Corydon, 1858-1864. Democratic. Established in 1858 by D. B. Cutler and A. O. Binkley. In 1861 the firm became Binkley & Esteb, and later, Binkley & Morrett. Finally Binkley obtained sole ownership and, during the latter part of the Civil War, discontinued the paper and removed the material to Princeton, Missouri.
- Webster County -
- Fort Dodge Sentinel, 1856-1860. Democratic. Established July 31, 1856, by Azariah S. White. January 1, 1858, John F. Duncombe joined with White as associate editor, and in January, 1859, became a partner of White in publishing the paper. He, however, withdrew late in the year as one of the editors and publishers.
- Fort Dodge Republican, 1860-1864. Republican. Established October 31, 1860, by James W Logan and George D. Ingersoll. In April, 1861, Logan withdrew, but returned to the paper as editor in October, as Ingersoll entered the Union Army. In August, 1862, Ingersoll was back as editor. Ingersoll & Welles were the publishers in 1863, and Welles & Co. in 1864. In May 1864, B. F. Gue purchased Ingersoll's interest and became the editor.
- Woodbury County -
- Iowa Eagle, Sioux City, 1857-1860. Independent. Established July 4, 1857, by Seth W. Swiggett. It was taken over by the Sioux City Register in 1860.
- Western Independent, Sergeant's Bluff, 1857-1858. Established in August, 1857, by Cummings & Ziebach. In March, 1858, it was discontinued and the material removed to Sioux City.
- Sioux City Register, 1858-1871. Democratic. Established July 22, 1858, by F. M. Ziebach. In 1859 William Freney became associate editor, and in 1860 the Iowa Eagle was consolidated with it, the name of the Register remaining unchanged. In 1871 it was suspended.
Counties: A-H * I-M
Iowa Old Press Home