Iowa News from
Grandma's scrapbook items

Methodist Church Scene of Pretty Wedding Sunday
Miss Delores Andersen and John Schuchard Take Marriage Vows

Summer flowers, stressing the pink, blue and white favored by the bride, and
taperlight decorated the Methodist church in Akron for the wedding of Miss
Delores Andersen, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Calvin Andersen, and Mr. John E.
Schuchard, son of Mr. and Mrs. John Schchard, of Remsen, Iowa, at 8:00
o'clock Sunday evening, June 8, 1947. Rev. S. Alva Jones, uncle of the
bride, and pastor of the Baptist church in Independence, Iowa, officiated,
reading the double ring ceremony.

The bride entered on the arm of her father, who gave her in marriage. She
was attired in a white satin waist, with a junior train, and a full-length
nylon skirt and leg-o-mutton sleeves pointed at the wrists, and square lace
yoke. Her finger-tip veil had a tiara of seed pearls. She carried a shower
bouquet of pink roses, tied in a fluff bouquet with gorgeous white ribbon.
She wore a single string of graduated pearls, a gift of the groom.

Mrs. Edward J. Lang, Jr., sister of the groom, was matron of honor. She
wore a blue brocaded satin formal, with a pink organdy picture hat. She
carried a bouquet of pink and white carnations, tied with a blue ribbon.
The bridesmaids were Norma Lee Rossow and Leanne Meske, both of Akron. They
wore pink formals, with blue picture hats, and carried a pink carnation
nosegay tied with blue ribbon. Nancy Earnest was flower girl and was
attired in a blue formal and blue picture hat.

Edward Lang, Jr., acting as bestman, wore a dark tan suit. Paul Schumacher,
friend of the groom, and Norris Hawkins, cousin of the bride, acted as
ushers, and each wore a white carnation as boutonniere. Leslie King was
ring bearer.

The groom wore a dark brown tailored suit, with a white boutonniere.

Exactly at 8 o'clock, Miss Dorothy Ann Behmer, accompanied by Mrs. H.
Shoulberg sang, "At Dawning" and "Because." Following the ceremony, she
sang "The Lord's Prayer." Mrs. H. Shoulberg also played Mendelssohn's and
Lohengrin's Bridal Marches.

Following the ceremony, a reception was held for eighty-five guests in the
church parlors. The bride's chosen colors decorated the parlor. The bridal
table was centered with a lovely wedding cake, topped with a miniature bride
and groom. Refreshments of icecream, cake and coffee were served.

Miss Dorothy Ann Behmer, accompanied by Mrs. H. Shoulberg, sang, "Always"
during the reception. The waitresses were Irene Huebner, Marianne Kerr,
Judy Baldwin, and Bonnie Adams. Mrs. H. J. Behmer acted as dining room
hostess. Kitchen honors went to Mesdames Fred Dirks, Clare Morehead,
William Blankenbuirg and Frank Johnson. Miss Jacquelin Claassen was in
charge of the guest book.

Mrs. Andersen, the bride's mother, was attired in a dress of blue rayon,
trimmed with flowers. She wore a white hat and gloves. Her corsage
consisted of beautiful yellow roses. Mrs. Schuchard, mother of the groom,
wore an ensemble of dark blue sheer, trimmed in white. She wore a white hat
and her corsage was of similar yellow roses.

The groom is graduate of Remsen public school. He served two years in the
U.S. Army and received his discharge last November. He is now a clerk in the
K & K Co. store in Akron. The bride is a graduate of the Akron public
school and was active in many of the school activities. The young couple
will make their home in this city. Along with congratulations, their many
friends wish them their full share of the best things in life.

Out of town guests were: Mr. and Mrs. Wayne Andersen and Mrs. Walter
Prestage and son, Burdette, of Sioux City; Mr. and Mrs. Harry Hawkins and
family, of LeMars; Mr. and Mrs. Fred King and Mr. and Mrs. William Roggow
and family, of Burke, S.D.; Mr. and Mrs. Earl Stephenson, Mr. and Mrs.
Donald Haack and Miss Lois Kroeger, of Remsen, Iowa; Mr. and Mrs. Alva
Jones, of Independence, Iowa.

~LeMars newspaper, dated June 1947

Local Baptist Pastor to Leave July 31 for Position at Holdrege

The Rev. S.A. Jones, pastor of the First Baptist church in Independence,
Iowa, Sunday morning submitted his resignation to the congregation to accept
the pastorate of the First Baptist Church in Holdrege, Neb. His resignation
was accepted by the church members at his request.

He will assume his new post in Nebraska on Sunday, August 3, but will
continue to conduct services at the local church until July 27 and will
leave Independence July 31.

Rev. Mr. Jones became the pastor of the Baptist church in Independence on
Dec. 31, 1943, succeeding the Rev. B. O. Bashore, who became pastor of a
church in Michigan. He came to Independence from LeMars where he had been a
Baptist minister for eight years. Previously he had served churches in the
Burke, S.Dak, and at David City, Nebraska. [correction-Rev. Jones served at
First Baptist Church, Trent, S.D. also.]

He was born at Goodwater, Ala., and his father, J. L. Jones, also was a
minister. He was graduated from Hardin-Simmons university at Abilene,
Texas, and took his ministerial training at Southwestern Seminary in Ft.
Worth, Texas.

Rev. and Mrs. Jones have a daughter, Mrs. Vernon C. Ewin, who lives at
Minden, Neb, 22 miles from Holdrege.

Rev. Mr. Jones has been active in the Independence Ministerial council in
which he served as secretary. He also is a member of the Masonic lodge.

A Baptist church pulpit committee composted of George Johnson, Chester
Stevens, Edwin Holst, Mrs. Harold Lenius, Miss Grace Potwin, and Patricia
Fuhrman, was selected to interview candidates for the pastorate. A
successor to Rev. Mr. Jones is expected to be named in the near future.

~unknown date, Buchanan County Iowa newspaper


Another milestone is about to be reached in the history of the Adaville
Evangelical United Brethren church as the completion of an extensive thirty
thousand dollar remodeling program nears.

The history of the church at Adaville dates back to the year 1874. The first
services were held that year in a small school building a short distance
west of the present location and were conducted by Rev. I.G.W. Chase, who
was at that time an itinerant pastor from the Des Moines conference. The
church was known as the "Pleasant Valley" church later being named the
"Adaville United Brethren Church."

A revival meeting was conducted at Pleasant Valley church, the same winter
in which the church was founded, and resulted in such an overcrowded
condition that the men of the church gathered together extended the building
ten feet longer and held services the same evening in the new and larger

A few years later this building was moved to the present site of the church
and in 1876 a parsonage was built.

The Adaville church grew in membership until 1880 it was necessary to build
a larger church to house the congregation and the building was completed the
same year.

The present church was constructed in the fall of 1908 and the spring of
1909 and the excavation of a basement with further facilities and class
rooms was completed in 1922.

The church only a few years back again took on a new look when the rostrum
was lowered and enlarged and the large windows on the sides replaced with
smaller ones. The walls and ceiling were covered with new wood sound board
which greatly helped the acoustics of the building. In 1941 and 1942 the
old parsonage was sold and moved away and in its place was constructed a new
parsonage bringing with it all the new conveniences of the present day and
age. The parsonage was dedicated on June 7, 1942, when Bishop U. O.
Weideler arrived for the all day services.

On November 16, 1946, the United Brethren churches untied with the
Evangelical churches and their names were changed to "Evangelical United
Brethren" church.

Now again in 1948, the church members have seen a definite need for
remodeling to give it new, better and expanded facilities. As with the
first church the men again turned out and under the supervision of the
building contractor, Tim DeStigter of Sioux Center, Iowa, proceeded to
remodel the building. A new entrance to the basement was provided from the
inside, the previous entrance necessitating that people go outside and
descend through the old fashioned cellar door.

The choir loft was recessed into the wall and three rooms used as choir
room, class room and pastor's study were constructed to the rear of the
building behind the choir loft and rostrum. A new entrance was constructed
from these new rooms to the basement thus giving two entrances to the
basement. The basement was effectively lowered by raising the entire church
in the air 20 inches. A new kitchen with modern conveniences was
constructed under the three new rooms and also men's and ladies' restrooms.
The basement has been finished with beautiful buff colored smooth surfaced
hollow tile wall and new would sounding board in the ceiling and a tile
floor. The lighting system has also been greatly improved and a stage with
dressing rooms on either side also added to the basement.

The furnace room has a new oil burning heating plant to heat the building in
winter and converts into a blower type cooling system for the warm summer
days. With the new oil furnace the need of a coal room no longer existed so
that room is being made into a sound proof room where choir and special
numbers maybe practiced to give last minute finishing touches without
disturbing the other activities in the building.

The building will give Adaville one of the most up to date parsonages and
church buildings in this vicinity.

It is expected that the new church will be dedicated some time in November
and will be completely paid for at that time.

~With this article there is a very nice black/white photo of the Adaville
church building.

~Unknown Plymouth Co. newspaper dated very likely in the fall of 1948


The Rev. S. Alva Jones, 64, pastor of the First Baptist church, died
suddenly this morning at 9:15 o'clock following a heart attack.

A native of Alabama, Rev. Jones was reared and educated in Texas being
graduated from Hardin-Simmons University and of the Southwestern Theological

He assumed the pastorate of the local Baptist church in August of 1947,
replacing the Rev. Carl Twining. He arrived here from a charge in
Independence, Ia.

Rev. Jones, for a number of years, served a pastorate in South Dakota. He
was later pastor at David City, Neb., for five years, and at LeMars, Ia.,
for seven and a half years.

He is survived by his widow, his daughter, Mrs. Vernon Ewin of Minden, one
brother and two sisters.

Funeral services are pending. The Nelson Funeral Home is in charge of

~The Holdrege Citizen, March 22, 1949


Funeral services for Rev. S. Alva Jones were held in Holdrege, Neb., Friday,
March 25, at two o'clock in the afternoon. The Rev. Will H. Muston of
McCook, former school mate and old friend of Rev Jones officiated. On
Saturday, March 26, services were held at LeMars, Ia. Interment was at the
LeMars cemetery.

Stiles Alva Jones was born January 8, 1885, to James L. and Annie Jones at
Goodwater, Alabama. He was called to his rest Tuesday morning, March 22,
1949, from his home in Holdrege, Nebraska, at the age of 64 years, two
months and 14 days.

When he was a boy of 13 his father passed away, and in 1908 his mother with
four children moved to Comanche County, Texas, to make their home. There he
received a call to the ministry and entered Simmons College (now
Hardin-Simmons University) at Abilene, Texas. He graduated in June 1921,
then entered the Southwestern Seminary, Ft. Worth, Texas.

His mother passed away at Merkel, Texas, in 1943.

He was united in marriage to Lona M. Truitt, December 28, 1913. A baby
girl, Frances Irene, came to bless this home September 16, 1924, the mother
passing away in 1926. He was married to E. Ferne King of Merrill, Iowa, June
1, 1927. [Transcriber comment: the baby girl, Frances Irene, was adopted by
Rev. S.A. Jones and his first wife, Lona, on Oct. 6, 1924. They called her
"Irene." Irene was nineteen months old when her mother, Lona, died.]

S. Alva Jones was for forty years a preacher of the Word. After holding
several student pastorates in Texas, and before going to seminary, his first
resident pastorate was at Velasco, Texas. He was ordained by his home
church in Comanche County, Texas, in 1913.

In 1923 he went directly from the seminary to Burke, So. Dakota for his
first pastorate in the Northern Baptist Convention. Soon the Lucas, So.
Dakota, church and the North Gray School House were added to his field. He
also held happy pastorates in Trent, So. Dakota, David City, Neb., LeMars
and Independence, Iowa, moving to Holdrege, Neb., August 1, 1947. His
sudden passing has broken what promised to be his best and most successful
pastorate, that of the First Baptist church, Holdrege, Nebraska.

Besides his work in his church he has been active in the work of the
Nebraska State Convention, the Southern Union Baptist Association, the
Holdrege Ministerial Union, the Phelps County Sunday School Association, and
several civic and fraternal organizations.

Rev. S. Alva Jones leaves to mourn his departure his widow, Ferne, of
Holdrege, one daughter and her husband, Mr. and Mrs. Vernon Ewin, and one
granddaughter, Linda Lee, of Minden, Neb.; one brother, Fletcher Jones, of
Merkel, Texas; two sisters, Mrs. M.B. Watson, of Abilene, Texas, and Mrs. R.
H. Carr, of Angleton, Texas; 10 nephews, five nieces and many other
relatives and a host of friends.

Serving as pallbearers were Paige Lindren, Eddie Swanson, Tannis Peterson,
Paul Winquest, Russel Iseman and Virgil Troxel, all Deacons of the First
Baptist church.

Honorary pallbearers were members of the Holdrege Ministerial Association,
Rev. Paul E. Cassel, Rev. George Schwabauer, Captain Elhert Walling, Rev.
Donald Bean, Rev. A. A. Christiansen, and Rev. H. A. Gustin.

A quartet composed of Mrs. E. W.Anderson, Mrs. Ed Axelson, E. L. Bloom and
Kenneth Jackson sang several numbers. Mrs. O. C. Randall was the pianist.

Dr. Frank Anderson officiated at services held in LeMars.

~The Holdrege Citizen, dated end of March 1949

[This next and last obituary to be posted on these pages was published in
one of the Baptist convention magazines.]

By Wm. Park

We were greatly saddened by the news received March 22nd that our friend,
Rev. S. Alva Jones, pastor of the First Baptist Church of Holdrege, died
very suddenly. Brother Jones was one of our fine, faithful pastors, doing
an outstanding piece of work. He had been home only two or three days from
a special evangelistic meeting at McCook, Neb., in which he did the
preaching, when he was called suddenly by death.

Brother Jones and the editor were life-long friends, having known each other
many years ago in Texas. He came to Nebraska before I did, and was pastor
at David City, later going to LeMars, Iowa, for a long pastorate, and then
to Independence, Iowa, for a very successful pastorate before coming to
Holdrege. He was a true servant of God, faithful in all things to Christ
and to His church. He loved his denomination, and gave himself without
reserve in the Lord's work. While the church was struggling to raise the
money for a $3500 furnace and repair bill, he led the church in selling 12
Shares of Success, at the same time paying a thousand dollars on the church
indebtedness, leaving a balance of only $600 to be raised.

We will greatly miss Alva in our fellowship, but we thank God for his
friendship through the years. We extend to Mrs. Jones and her daughter our
heartfelt sympathy.

Funeral services were held at the Holdrege church on Friday, March 25,
conducted by his life-long friend, Rev. Will E. Muston, of McCook. Rev. Ben
Rowland represented the State Convention, since the State Secretary was
unable to be present. Interment took place at LeMars, Iowa, March 26th,

[Transcribed and submitted by Linda Lee Ewin Ziemann, who was the one year
old granddaughter at the time of Grandpa Rev. S.A. Jones' death]


Iowa News from Scrapbooks index

Iowa Old Press Home